Tuesday, August 31, 2010

moving on to 2nd grade

     I've already moved up a grade; I must be really smart :) Really, I switched classes so that I would have the same mentor teacher all semester long. Oh, the changes that have come my way in the past week, but I must be strong and grow through them because as my supervisor reminded me, "one of the lessons that new teachers learn is that they have to be flexible and be able to adjust as change occurs and the need arises." I'm so glad he reminded me because I knew, but I needed reminding. As of this afternoon, I moved to 2nd grade. I spent the afternoon acclimating to the dynamic change of student characteristics and structure. It takes a few weeks before the students are used to the routine and have their "thinking/working" hats on. My new class has some students who will require extra behavior management, but it is good for me to have the practice. I have surpassed many challenging experiences thus far; I just have to keep a positive outlook and realize this is an incredible learning experience. Also, I must learn their names quickly because each week I will be more and more responsible for teaching content and running the class. The days go fast here; it seems like I should have more events everyday because I am used to being so involved on campus and at home. However, I must confess that it is quite wonderful to come home to my little casita/apartment and relax, make some dinner, and reflect on the day, and if I'm ambitious even read a little bit from my textbook.
    Tomorrow, I start my first evening of my part time job at a flower shop nearby. I'm so excited to work with flowers and learn something new. I will only be working a couple days of the week and most of the time that will be on the weekends; thankfully, it will work perfectly with my schedule. I think I will take some flower pictures with me to show the owner, maybe he will need me to take photos for him too; now that would be so much fun! I could have a mural all over my apartment :) Well, as I'm sitting and typing, I am also thinking about how I should read so I think I will motivate myself to do that for a while....Here's my quote of the day from 2nd grade...

As heard in a 2nd grade class (topic: my language abilities)
Girl 1: "She speaks Spanish?!"
Girl 2: "I have an aunt with blue eyes who can speak Spanish too."
...later after I switched to English...
Girl 3: "You speak English, too?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment