Wednesday, June 24, 2009

it's off to work we go...

Tuesday morning began by researching recyclable craft projects for the women of Villa Soleada. After finding one good idea, using bottle caps to make jewelry, we went on an under cover adventure to Turi Plaza, the high-price tourist shop. We had to be sneaky about taking pictures and writing down prices, but we only ended up finding one potential project. Most of the souvenirs there are high-priced and require a higher level of training than any of us could offer. We decided to brave our second venture to Villa Soleada via the chicken bus. Why pay 100 lempiras when you can pay 8 to go on the chicken bus. Sure it's slightly less safe, but much more exhilarating and Honduras-like. Christian and I spent the afternoon working alongside the group of volunteers that is here this week and the Honduran crew while Sam worked on collecting recipes for our soon-to-come cookbook. I have to say I was very low-energy all morning so when I got an adrenaline rush from carrying numerous buckets of sand back and forth between houses I was very appreciative of this new-found energy. I get so much energy when working with the Hondurans because I know this project means so much to them. The young children in 1st and 2nd grade help us by collecting empty buckets and carrying them to the refill station while even the elderly join in shoveling and taking their own spot in the assembly line as we pass the buckets along to be dumped on the floors of the houses before cement is poured. I absolutely loved working and I'm looking forward to another day of work tomorrow. While I am a little sore, it's only the kind of sore that let's you know you've done some physical work.

Last night's dinner entailed an unexpected surprise. We went out for dinner in San Pedro Sula. The restaurant served delicious pork chops and offered entertaining karaoke. As we were getting ready to leave, we saw the Honduran soccer team leaving the restaurant. We rushed down the stairs to meet them and take pictures with them. It was so crazy; just two weeks ago we were at the game watching them play. So we played the crazy gringo card and took as many pictures with them as possible. The most exciting part was when one of them, who happened to be rather good looking, told me I had very pretty eyes. What a day…

No comments:

Post a Comment