Wednesday, June 24, 2009

mission accomplished

8 a.m. Rise and shine to a friendly note that says “Please make sure to pack a PBJ…-Willy” While this is an inside joke, I still need to write it and remember it. As we awaited the arrival of our wonderful bus driver and volunteer crew, we were honked at and stared down by all traffic. Christian accidently made the wrong hand motion and so one taxi reversed for half a block because they thought we needed a ride, oh Honduras. Our first stop this morning was Amor y Vida, a center for children with HIV/AIDS. I was expecting a very emotional/heart-wrenching sight after my experiences working at the Nutrition Center, but upon arrival we were welcomed by normal, healthy looking children who just so happened to have unfortunate health situations. The volunteers planned out several craft activities which went very well. There were four different stations: drawing/coloring, making bracelets out of fun foam, receiving balloon animals, and playing with/popping the balloon animals. We spent an hour and a half making new friends at the center. I had a wonderful time drawing houses and flowers with a couple of the kids; making and sharing friendship bracelets with one of the girls; and finally sword fighting her with balloons to which she won and I “died.” (I suppose being killed by a balloon sword could go on our list of possible ways to die in Honduras. Our goal is to reach 100 ways by the end of our trip. No worries though many of them are fictitious.) Back to the day’s events…When it came time to say goodbye my new friend ran away before we had the chance to say our farewells. I suppose it was easier this way. I find it hardest to say goodbye when the children accompany us all the way to the bus door. I’m sure I’ll be back some day; I know there’s still more work to be done here.

PBJ time…On the bus we received fresh pineapple, juice, and sandwiches. We relocated to the central park of San Pedro Sula and tried to enjoy a simple lunch without every pair of eyes on us, but who can blame them for staring at a big group of gringos walking around with delicious PBJ and semitas (aka sweet bread). I was so full after the pineapple, juice, and semita I couldn’t even think about snacking on my delicious PBJ so I decided to save it for later. However, I did find room for a granite de café (iced coffee drink). I needed a little energy boost after all the previous activity and sword fighting. Yapa, Christian, and I went on a search for an ATM and luckily for Christian found a Super Jugo. Everywhere we go Christian must have his liquado de banana y leche (banana milk shake, fresh of course). We returned to the group and then regrouped for a bathroom break at the largest McDonald’s in Honduras. The guards looked at us with a skeptical glare as we walked in and only wanted to use the bathroom. Thankfully, Yapa convinced them to let us in and not make us pay, as many places in Honduras do. Finally, we got back on the bus and headed for destination number two, Nueva Esperanza…

I was incredibly hesitant to re-enter the battleground after our last encounter there. I literally had to talk myself into leaving the bus and going into the area. I said many small prayers asking for peace and strength because the children deserve the attention and care, it’s just very hard for me to be with them and not cry for the hurt that they have faced and will face throughout their lives. I put on my game face as we entered. We went to the baby room first. I guess it’s not really a baby room though because there are children as old as fourteen in that room. I think the oldest ones suffer from polio because they too have their own crib and look less than half their age. I visited Jason again and received a warm welcome from him. I’m so happy that he is gaining weight, but he’s so big now I can’t lift him out of his crib to play with him. I helped him stand up in his crib and he hugged me for what seemed like five minutes. It was the most sincere hug I’ve ever received. I held back the tears as we stood there. He smiled and then hugged me again. It still boggles my mind how anyone could not love their child, how anyone could lock them away like they don’t exist, and then walk away free of any punishment after treating an innocent human being in such an inhumane way. I embraced the time I had with Jason and tried to ignore the smell of feces and dirty children that saturated the room. Before I wished, we were told it was time to go downstairs and begin entertaining the other children. I didn’t want to leave Jason, and I also didn’t know if I could face the children again. So I said another prayer, took a deep breath, and said goodbye to Jason. I couldn’t just ignore the other children, they deserve attention too. I went downstairs to the drawing room where we handed out sheets of paper and crayons one by one. This is the best method for keeping track of the crayons because then when they want a new color they must trade you for the one they have. Today must have been my lucky day because within minutes of walking in the room I made friends with a young boy name Noel who loved to draw and color. We sat down with the paper and crayon and began to trace a small container he carried around with him. Then we traced his hand, and I showed him how to use the straight side of his container to draw a house. I sat with him as he drew house after house (with doors and windows of course) and sun after sun. He was the most focused child I’ve ever met at Nueva Esperanza. He was very engrossed in his drawings and took great care to trade his colors every so often for a new one. When he decided to draw a frog we had to look to one of the volunteers for help. She loves to draw and made many frogs and other animals for the children. Towards the end, one of the older boys found an empty crayon box and started to steal crayons from the children. I tried not to give him too much attention because I knew that would only encourage his actions. However, I did ask every so often if he would give them to me as a gift (or at least that’s how it translates from Spanish to English), and finally, right before he left, he gave me a hug and the box of crayons. I know this may not seem to be a big deal to most, but it is a huge deal for the children that live there. Last time we went they stole a purple folder that we had brought and wanted us to pay them $20 US dollars to get it back. But this time, this time, I had made a connection with one of them and he knew that he should give the crayons back. I felt victorious. It’s not so much about the object itself but the idea behind the possession of the object. Children at this place have nothing they can call their own so unfortunately when volunteers bring art supplies, the children try to hoard them for “their own.” But not today…today was different. I spent time with children who I really feel have potential to be a positive role model, and that’s hard to come by in such tight living space. I have to try not to think about the actual possibility of this occurring because I realize it is slim to none, but at least for today I saw that there is hope for the children there.

Today was a good day. I feel really good about the way everything went, but I’ve very tired now. Tomorrow will be another day full of adventure as we observe another school and brave the work field of Villa Soleada. I’m sad that we only have 9 days left so I’m willing to wear myself out to enjoy every possible moment. God, please give me the strength I need physically, mentally, and emotionally to make the most of my remaining time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment