Thursday, June 4, 2009

todo tranquillo

Today was a 180 flip from yesterday, and I thank God for that. We spent the morning discussing our surveys and really understanding the importance and value of quantitative information that will be attained from them. After that meeting, we packed up and headed to VS for our ESL class. There were not a lot of people there today and even fewer new people. We have it set up so we teach 2 classes to the first group of workers and 2 classes to the second group of workers each week. It's going well, and they're so enthusiastic even though we have done the same repetitions three times now this week. We're going to try and think up some games, but this way of teaching is very different because many do not know how to read and write so we have to go with a more hands on approach. We tried to play "eye-spy" but I'm not sure how well they understood me, oh well, we'll try again I'm sure. For the afternoon, we just chilled at VS, hung out with the kids, made some note cards for our next ESL class, and basked in the tranquility of VS. It was so great! Oh, and my feet got covered with little biting ants, which was not pleasant. Every time I had my sandals on on the ground they covered my feet and so I freaked out a couple of times and of course everyone laughed at me; tomorrow I'm wearing tennis shoes for more than one reason. The other reason being that I tried to climb the water tower that they are building today, but my sandals did not help me at all so I told them tomorrow for sure I would. This way when I get to the top I can take pictures of the tops of the houses and almost have an aerial view, haha. I'll be careful, or at least as careful as one can be when climbing up a tower on boards :0) This evening we met with the ladies who run the after school camp on Fridays and learned how we can help the students with tutoring, lessons, and arts/crafts activities. I'm very excited because I feel I finally will get to do something that specifically aligns with my main specialization in school. The ladies sounded very well organized and had great ideas so I am very excited to see how the camp goes tomorrow. I am also learning how to cook Honduran style while here. Tonight's lesson included tortillas of course, cooking yuka (which is like a potato but a little sweeter), chicken, and pico de gallo (it's called something else here, but I can't remember). It's a lot of fun talking and cooking and just taking in the essence of Honduras. I thank God for a day like today, and I also realize we must endure days like yesterday while here, but I know what my purpose is and I will continue to pray for strength and compassion in the days to come. Buenas Noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment