Wednesday, January 6, 2010

enthusiasm is contagious...start an epedemic

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

So far our week has gone very well. Bailey and I are in charge of 38 incredible students. They have worked very hard at Villa Soleada digging trenches to finish up the clean water and sanitation system. We are also doing a kid’s camp this week to work on reinforcement of math and art skills. Volunteers from all levels of Spanish skills have stepped up and made connections with the students, given them resources and one-on-one attention that is rarely offered here. On Monday night we had a dance class and performances by a group of high school age students from El Progreso. Everyone had the opportunity to learn salsa, merengue, and even some traditional steps. The energy was so high and it was very fun. Tuesday we went to San Pedro Sula to the market Gualmita to do some souvenir shopping. I have only been to the market two times now, and I really liked this one. After the market, we went to Baleadas Express for lunch and you will never guess that one of the professors from WIU was also there, recognized Shin, and then we said hello…what a small world. The last activity for the day was spending time at Nueva Esperanza, the state run orphanage. I knew going there that it would be tough just because of the experience there this summer and knowing that I would see many of the same children dealing with the same horrible standards of living. It is so hard to wrap my mind around the idea that many of these children live in the orphanage from birth through age twelve, where then they are divided into older boys/older girl’s homes. I chose to spend my time in the baby room and inform the volunteers about some of the babies living there. I am very happy to have spent time again with Jason, one of the most dear to my heart boys there. I feel as though he remembers me and that when he stares at me he is talking to me and I understand him because he has no words that he can use to describe the life that he has had. There was also a three-month-old baby that captured my attention; her name was Sofía. She was the sweetest little girl with hiccups and so I picked her up and walked around with her until finally her hiccups went away and she was able to fall back asleep. Preciosa.
This trip is like no other, in a wonderful way. I love being a student leader. I feel so empowered to share my knowledge of SHH’s projects and the experiences I have had in Honduras. In other ways I am indirectly learning leadership skills through trial and error, even something as simple as a numbering system to make sure all of our volunteers are accounted for or a “spirit check” to dar ánimo, energy, to the volunteers. I am very excited for the next few days of this group’s time here. I have however realized that there will not be much if any break between the departure of this group and the arrival of the next so I am trying my best to remember to rest so I can have enough energy, enthusiasm, and health for the duration of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment