Friday, January 1, 2010

Honduras 5.0

After a very long day of traveling, I finally arrived in Honduras, and I must say it feels like I was just here yesterday. In fact, it took me a while to realize that I really was back because it didn't seem possible that six months had passed since last being here. I'm so so excited about this trip. This is going to be a whole new level of experience for me as a student leader, facilitating and showing others the wonder and beauty of the country and the people who live here.

New Year's Eve - We went to Villa Soleada to visit the families who are living in their new homes. It was so incredible to see them with their houses all decorated and made to be their "own" finally after so many hours of countless labor. At one of the houses there was music playing and many people dancing. The kids know that I love to dance so they took me by the hand and with what little energy I had we danced bachata. Of course dancing gave me energy so that helped me enjoy the rest of the evening's festivities. We later went to a friend's house at midnight for a special fireworks show. Now, fireworks in Honduras are nothing like in the states because you can just set them up across the street from your house and have your own private show, awesome, but slightly scary. We enjoyed saying our Feliz Año Nuevo to one and all and then we headed out to dance the rest of the night away.

Today we went over our schedule for the week and the role that we will play as student leaders for the group of 74 students that are coming this week. I'm absolutely ex tactic! We have so much in store: construction at Villa Soleada, kid's camp activities, visit to an orphanage, dance lessons, celebration ceremony for the families who have moved in to Villa Soleada, the beach, and more...This evening we relaxed at an outdoor restaurant, experienced more culture, and danced too. So to prepare for this action packed, thrilling week, I am going to go to bed before 9pm, yes!

Happy New Year!

1 comment: